This year I worked with two of my Downtown Schenectady friends and neighbors to create some delightful limited edition Sweet Sprig products. Working with David at True Juice cafe to design his Sweet Snap candle was so much fun. Sweet Snap, a blend of fresh pineapple and real lemon essential oil is inspired by the cafe's popular cold-press juice by the same name. This candle was formulated to create a cheerful, fresh scent that will brighten up any space. I have personally been loving burning it in my home. Only available at True Juice Cafe,www.truejuicecafe.com 251 State St, Schenectady NY (free parking lot in the rear off of Liberty St.) Be sure to stop-in to get yours soon.
The second collab I worked on this year was on a limited line of soaps with Haley for Arthur's Market. When we first started working together on designing a line of soaps inspired by Arthur's menu it was evident our two businesses were a perfect fit for one another. Rosemary Lemon is an elegant blend of savory and sweet with a delicate sprig adorning the center of each bar. Mocha Latte, infused with No. Six Depot Coffee Roasters ground coffee smells like a strong cup of coffee with a hint of hazelnut, cream, and vanilla. Both limited edition soaps are only available at Arthur's Market, 35 North Ferry St, Schenectady NY.
2021 Shipping Deadlines
First-Class Mail (packages less than 1 pound)-December 17
Priority Mail-December 18
To get your package in the mail on-time holiday orders need to be placed no later than Dec 16 in order for packages to arrive on time. While we pack and ship orders quickly due to postal service delays we cannot guarantee that packages will arrive on time.
You did your soul and your skin a favor and made the switch to using all-natural handmade soaps. Taking care of them can be a little different than commercially made soaps. We made this handy little tip sheet to help you on your journey!
1. Use a Soap Lift-Keeping your soap elevated and allowing it to dry in-between uses will make it last twice as long. You can purchase an eco-friendly lift made from biodegradebale corn plastic right on our website.
2. Store out of direct sunlight-We use all-natural colorants which can fade when exposed to too much light. We know you love putting our bars on display before you use them. Try keeping them off the window sill and instead place on a cute decorative shelf in your bathroom. Let them have their moment to shine by being part of your design schema while they wait for their turn in the shower.
3. Allow your soaps to breathe-Don’t store in plastic ziplock bags. Natural soap needs airflow otherwise mold can grow on the botanicals on the tops of your soap. If you are storing in airtight containers open the lids every so often to let in fresh air.
4. Use your soap fresh-Natural soap doesn’t contain any preservatives and uses fresh ingredients like essential oils or plant juices. As a result your soap is best enjoyed within 1 year of purchase. Unlike commercially made soap our bars are not made to survive a nuclear disaster. So what are you waiting for, use those beautiful bars!
5. Cut your bar in half-If you find your bar is too big or you are using it too fast try taking a kitchen knife and cutting it in half. Use smaller pieces at a time to stretch out the life of your bar. Smaller bars of soap are also way easier for kids to wash up with!
2020 was the year I had been waiting for all of my life. It was the year I was to finally implement my lifelong dream of pursuing my soap making career full-time. No more rushing to the studio on my lunch breaks to pack orders. No more stealing moments from my life that I was never able to pay back to myself.
I quit a job and career I loved in February and had exactly 45 days of bliss until everything came to a halt. Don't worry for me though, honestly everything turned out great in the end. After going through the different phases of grief after seeing all but one of my revenue streams completely dry up, I figured things out just like everyone else. I played and experimented, I invented new products, took pictures, got outside more. I found my groove and my joy.
Eventually my new pandemic and full-time soap life started to balance and as the country began opening up we all had to pivot again. Every step of the way this year you were there with me. In April and May when NY was on lockdown and you were stuck in your homes you thought of me and my new journey. You reached out, checked-in and sent some amazing orders. I think I saw an online order from just about everyone I have ever known in those two months! You thought of me again for your scaled down weddings, baby and bridal showers. You let me hand write the most lovely and heart felt messages on gift boxes that you sent to friends across the country just to bring them a ray of light. You were there for me again this holiday season. Letting me put together gifts for your nana, for your teachers, for your family.
Thank you. Thank you for this year, for all the years past and future. In the two photos above are my Chocolate Anise soaps 13 years ago vs now. One full year of Sweet Sprig under my belt and I am so excited to see what new fun things you will help inspire in 2021.
I started out with the idea of a "Votes for Women" soap over the Winter while visiting my friends Shawn and Katie in Rochester, NY. In describing my new Schenectady Collection line of history inspired artisan soaps Katie suggested doing one inspired by her area of New York. After a few minutes of brainstorming she suggested a women's suffrage themed bar and I knew I just had to make it happen.
Soapsmith, artist, cat mom, music lover, environmentalist, all around sweet gal!